Select Your Language

April 4, 2008

Letting the Dog Out

Well today at 6:00 AM I learned that it was my turn to let the dog out. So I did and now I'm awake and can't go back to sleep. This reminds me of a saying I heard a long time ago that says, "work hard, play hard, rest hard." This saying to me means live life to the fullest which is in line with what Jesus taught us in John 10:10. I have come that they may have life and have it to the fullest or as the KJV puts it, "I have come that you may have life and that more abundantly". Abundant life is a covenant promise from Jesus to you if you are a follower of Christ. If you're not living an abundant life I'd encourage you to do some introspecting. Find out what choices you've made and why you've made them. You are in a place in life, ask yourself, "Am I following the voice of my father in heaven?" or just my own ideas or even worse yet are carnal impulses driving you? Be blessed today as you go about and remember that God has promised you an abundant life! Remember Nicodemus? He asked Jesus in John 3 how could a man be born again. Jesus said he had to be born of water and the spirit. Water symbolizes a transformed life and righteous living. The spirit symbolizes the life of hearing God's voice and obeying. The illustration from the Old Testament of someone who lived by the spirit was the prophet Elijah.
1 Kings 18:15
  • 7 As Obadiah was walking along, Elijah met him. Obadiah recognized him, bowed down to the ground, and said, "Is it really you, my lord Elijah?"
    8 "Yes," he replied. "Go tell your master, 'Elijah is here.' "
    9 "What have I done wrong," asked Obadiah, "that you are handing your servant over to Ahab to be put to death? 10 As surely as the LORD your God lives, there is not a nation or kingdom where my master has not sent someone to look for you. And whenever a nation or kingdom claimed you were not there, he made them swear they could not find you. 11 But now you tell me to go to my master and say, 'Elijah is here.' 12 I don't know where the Spirit of the LORD may carry you when I leave you. If I go and tell Ahab and he doesn't find you, he will kill me. Yet I your servant have worshiped the LORD since my youth. 13 Haven't you heard, my lord, what I did while Jezebel was killing the prophets of the LORD ? I hid a hundred of the LORD's prophets in two caves, fifty in each, and supplied them with food and water. 14 And now you tell me to go to my master and say, 'Elijah is here.' He will kill me!"
    15 Elijah said, "As the LORD Almighty lives, whom I serve, I will surely present myself to Ahab today."

It's interesting to me that Obadiah recognizes the nature of Elijah's life and relationship with the Lord. He knew that Elijah was carried about by his obedience to the Spirit of the Lord. This is one of the key's to living the abundant life God has promised. I think we could all agree that Elijah's life was definitely abundant. Very amazing the things God did through this spirit led man. Well I hope you have a great day and make the most of your time for the Lord.

Loving God, Empowering People

Pastor Tony

No comments: