Select Your Language

November 1, 2012

The "I Am" God

By Tony V. Hammack

Abundant Life Today Media
Abundant Life Today Podcast

Podcast: Play in New Window | Download
These notes are best when used in conjunction with the audio or video.
 
God’s Nature, Our Needs

Thesis: Traditionally the church has been great at teaching people about the God of the Bible. This includes the great things God’s done in the past as well as the things he’s going to do when he comes again. Where the modern church has come up short is in demonstrating the “I Am” nature of God. He’s the God of the urgent, He’s available to be the God of right now.
 
Names = the character and nature of a person.
Ehyeh-Asher-Ehyeh, I will be what I will be
 
Exodus 3:13, 14
13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?” 14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”
 
God exists by himself for himself, and is the uncreated Creator who is independent of any concept, force, or entity; therefore "I am who I am"
 
Jesus claiming the “I Am” name for himself.
 
Leviticus 24:16
16 anyone who blasphemes the name of the Lord is to be put to death. The entire assembly must stone them. Whether foreigner or native-born, when they blaspheme the Name they are to be put to death.
 
John 10:30-33
30 I and the Father are one.” 31 Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him, 32 but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?” 33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”
 
John 8:57-59
57 “You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!” 58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” 59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.
 
Now the reader of this passage, without having any understanding of Exodus 3 or Leviticus 24:16, may not understand that Jesus is making himself out to be equal with God and specifically have the name and nature of God found in Exodus 3, the “I Am”, but in light of these two verses we see very clearly that the first century Jewish listeners clearly interpreted what he was saying as blasphemy which is why they took up stones to stone him, Jesus “a mere man, claiming to be God.” (John 10:33)
 
Psalm 46:1
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
 
Malachi 3:6a
6 “I the Lord do not change.
 
Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
 
James 1:17
17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
 
Don’t let anyone ever tell you that God can’t use you or someone else to do something that’s clearly laid out in scripture. Men build doctrines to accommodate their lack of faith and destroy the faith of those that would listen in agreement to their erroneous ideas. God can meet your need and begin moving in your situation right now.
 
Strong's Greek #: 4982. σώζω (sózó)
 
No matter what your need?
  • Spiritual Salvation
  • Physical Healing
  • Deliverance from Sinful Habits
  • Deliverance from Unclean Spirits
  • Widsom/Knowledge
  • Financial Increase
  • Spiritual Growth and Maturity
  • Spiritual Salvation

Acts 16:31
They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”

I believe each person has to have a personal encounter with the Lord Jesus to be saved but I also believe that me coming to saving faith in Christ creates an impact on my entire family. I believe I can quote this scripture and believe in faith that my family will come to know Christ if they currently are not saved.

John 6:44
 “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day.

Luke 10:2
2 He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.

Physical Healing

Matthew 12:15
Aware of this, Jesus withdrew from that place. A large crowd followed him, and he healed all who were ill.

Mark 6:5
5 He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. Deliverance from sinful habits

Galatians 5:16-18
16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

The same faith that saves you is the same faith that sanctifies you. Keep looking at Christ and his atoning sacrifice on the cross for grace to give power to overcome sin.

Deliverance from unclean spirits

Acts 10:38
how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

Wisdom/Knowledge

Maybe you need to know what to do in a certain situation.

1 Corinthians 2:10
10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.

Financial Increase

Deuteronomy 8:18
18 But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today.

Spiritual Growth and Maturity

Philippians 1:6
6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

James 1:4
4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Galatians 4:19
19 My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you,

Ephesians 4:13
until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

Jesus is the, I Am God and can meet your need! No matter what your need!
  • Spiritual Salvation
  • Physical Healing
  • Deliverance from Sinful Habits
  • Deliverance from Unclean Spirits
  • Widsom/Knowledge
  • Financial Increase
  • Spiritual Growth and Maturity
   
Visit with us at Jubilee Family Church this Sunday at 10:15 AM (Central Standard Time U.S.A.) and Wednesday evening at 6:30 PM (Central Standard Time U.S.A.) If you can't be with us in person please visit via internet video on Jubilee T.V. If you live in Batesville please tune into KBAP 88.1 FM to listen to contemporary worship music.

Jubilee Family Church45 Thunderbird Dr. Batesville, AR 72501 (870) 793-9124
View Larger Map

No comments: